I found a really interesting article in a magazine called ‘Artists and illustrators’ all about going into a career as an illustrator. Children’s book illustration is a competitive business, so how do you get noticed? The article pointed out several factors to take into consideration which i’ve made a note of.
1) Research the market and find out where you fit
2) Writing the story along with the illustrations will give you an advantage
3) You can never plan a book too much
4) Make yourself stand out through previous projects and a reputation
5) Grow a network around yourself of creative people who can help
6) Never be discouraged